February 27, 2009

First Draft Done

I finished the first draft of my new novel Stealing Genius a few days ago. There's still a lot of work to be done in the rewrite, of course, but overall I'm very happy with how it came out.

To date, this is the longest novel I've ever written. It came in just over 165,000 words. I've already cut over 8,000 words and will no doubt be cutting thousands more before I'm done. (Okay, I'll be adding a few, too.) But even at its now svelt 157,000 words, it cuts quite a daunting figure.

You know you've written a hefty book when it takes more than one ream of paper to print it out!

I'm hoping to have the rewrite ready for my beta readers by the end of March. The family is off to Florida for a week then, which I'm no doubt going to need.

For those keeping track, I started the book on November 3rd, 2008. So, with time over the holidays and such when I didn't write, it probably took me about 3 1/2 months to write it.

Oh, and while I was working on it, I talk about it in general terms with my daughter. One element she particularly liked were the good/bad sisters I told her about. In fact, she liked them so much she made some of her drawings for me. I have to say it was quite inspiring and helped me along, since at the time I was only about 2/3's of the way through.


Well, back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

substantial barely covers it

excellent work my friend

/barb