April 28, 2009

Here We Go

Sent out my first query for my book yesterday. Wow, that was nerve-wracking. Hovered my finger over the send button for almost a minute.

Originally I was going to send out 10 queries and keep that amount out there, but I just sent one. I think I need to test the waters before I go diving in. Last thing I want to do is hit up my ten dream agents with a crappy query and burn them off my list. Actually, I hope I don't do that at all, but losing one opportunity is way better than losing ten. Though I will be really disappointed if that happens, since this one is right at the top of my list.

I should probably leave it alone at this point, but I'm going to continue polishing my manuscript.

Between working on the next book, of course.


3 comments:

csmith said...

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, best of luck! Your writing comes off as smart, so I bet you make an agent in no time.

BTW, it was so hard for me when I started that process that I stopped and decided to write a number of query letters and also work on variations (long and short) of my synopsis for a couple of weeks.

The more I explored this, the more I decided I didn't know enough or have enough confidence in this process to continue until I've explored it a whole lot more!

So, please, share your successes and hints, if you care to, for the rest of us.

Thanks.

Alicia Walker said...

I saw you left a comment on my blog, so of course I had to check out what you are up to.

If you got a 15% response on Nathan's query crazy experiment, I'm sure you'll get a few hits from real agents.

I think you are smart by taking the querying slow. I started out light a bolt of lightening, shooting mine to everyone right from the beginning. I've learned soooo much about what agents are looking for now, and wish I would have been more cautious.

I would say that your idea sounds intriguing, but you are going to get that word used a lot from agents. "Sounds intriguing..."

So I'll say...thrillarific! You won't hear that one:)