March 13, 2010
I finished the rewrite of Stealing Genius a few weeks ago. It came in at a svelt 105,000 words. Shocking when you remember that the first draft came in at just over 165,000 words. I have to be honest, I think the more natural length for this book (and thrillers in general) is around 140k, but it would appear the market doesn't agree with me. Especially for first novels. In any case, it's done.
To go with this new version, of course, is a new round of queries. That's what I've been doing the past couple weeks: new query, new synopsis, new agents. And unlike last time, I didn't just focus on the agents who take email queries this time. And my wallet reflects this. Including the partials, it cost me almost $50 for this round of queries. A huge amount, considering the first round cost $0. The ironic thing is that I'm hoping it's going to cost me even more before I'm done. Hopefully I'll be posting more partials and fulls over the coming weeks.
At the moment, I've got 6 partials and 1 full out to agents. Along with a bunch of queries. I'll be updating the status here as it changes. But now I'm trying to focus on new work.
I've added a project on the right called Slaybells. It's a new novel I'm hoping will come in around 75-80K. It's another thriller, but a much different one from Stealing Genius. Slaybells is set entirely in Los Angeles and centers around a broken cop chasing a killer who makes things a little too personal. It's about half done, but is a really disorganized mess right now. After what I just went through writing the synopsis for Stealing Genius, I'm thinking about writing the synopsis for Slaybells now, rather than after the book's written. I think it would really help with my organization issue, too. We'll see.
By the way, if you can identify where the opening quote for this post is from, I'll give you extra cookies at snack time. No fair googling. And begin.
Posted by Martin at 3/13/2010 12:17:00 PM